The ideals of excellence, character and services as expressions of Silliman University’s motto “VIA VERITAS VITA” are exemplified and epitomized in the individual lives of Alumni, in their own special and unique way as persons, professionals and members of the community. The OUTSTANDING SILLIMANIAN AWARDS, to be given during Founders Day, are designed to recognize these ideals in those who have gone through the portals of the University. Silliman University in coordination with the Silliman Alumni Association, Inc. commits itself to the active promotion of these awards in the hope that these outstanding Sillimanians may become living exemplars of excellence, character and service, and thus keep alive the SILLIMAN SPIRIT.
1. Any alumnus/alumna of Silliman University may be nominated for the award, provided the nominee meets criteria set forth below.
2. Anyone from the alumni or Silliman academic community may submit a nomination, accompanied by a picture and curriculum vitae of the nominee but such nomination shall be coursed through the President of any recognized chapter who shall ensure that the nominee is a lifetime member of the Silliman Alumni Association, Inc.3. Every nomination shall have the official endorsement of the Nominating Chapter, duly supported by a resolution of membership by the Board of Directors.
4. Only nominees who satisfy fully the prescribed criteria, particularly those under the “Truth and the Life”, should be endorsed.
5. The alumni chapters concerned shall forward the nominations, together with all supporting papers, to the Executive Secretary, Silliman Alumni Association, Inc. or the Director of Alumni Affairs, Silliman University, Dumaguete City. Nominations without the required supporting papers will not be considered.
6. Chapters concerned must submit nominations and pertinent documents on or before October 15 of the preceding year. Nominations received after the deadline will be considered for the succeeding year.
Download Nomination Form
1. The screening committee, composed of the members of the Executive Committee of the Association and one member of the University Board of Trustees, shall then meet to consider the nominations and see if they are in order. Should the Committee deem it necessary and proper, nominations may be referred to persons, or institutions which can provide an objective assessment of the nominees’ qualifications. Where the award intended for the nominee bears an academic dimension, the nomination shall, in all cases, be referred to the Deans Conference and then to the Academic Council of the University for proper assessment.
2. Once the referral results are in, all nominations shall be endorsed to the Special Selection Committee for screening and preliminary selection. This Committee shall be composed of nine (9) members, as follows:
1 Member of the Board of Trustees
1 Dean/Director recommended by the Dean’s Conference and
1 Member recommended by the Academic Council
1 Faculty nominated by the Vice President for Academic Affairs
1 Staff nominated by the University President
4 Alumni representatives by the SAAI Board
The Committee shall elect a Chairman from among themselves.
3. The Final Selection Committee shall be composed of one member of the Board of Trustees, the University President, who shall sit as Chair, the Vice President(s), and the members of the SAAI Board. They shall make the final selection at the latter’s March meeting. The decision of the Final Selection Committee, once approved by the Board of Trustees, shall be final and inappealable.
4. The Director of the Office of the Alumni Affairs shall sit as ex-officio member of all the committees.
Outstanding Professional Achievements
Excellent and distinguished performance in field of specialization, area of responsibility or chosen career.
Significant Professional Output in terms of:
1. Innovations and creativity such as researches, projects, products, etc.
2. Impact on professional activities engaged in.
3. Involvement in Professional activities, organizations, societies.
4. Promotions, Positions/Titles attained
5. Awards/commendations received in relation to the profession or chosen carreer.
Individual’s Social Responsibility
Consistent and courageous in the pursuit of truth and committed to what is good, right and just.
Honesty, integrity and justness in responsibilities, accountabilities to self, others and the community:
1. Positive contributions to social and civic causes;
2. Notable leadership in church, civic and community organizations;
3. Involvement and contributions to the Life and mission of the university.
4. Membership in Silliman Alumni Association, Inc. and active involvement in chapter activities;
5. No pending criminal or administrative cases.
Individual’s Personal Conduct
|Exemplary lifestyle and conduct in private life, and in his relationship with family, friends, colleagues and the general public.||
Strength of Relationship
1. Propriety, decency and decorum in personal conduct
2. Harmonious relationship with friends, colleagues and the general public.
3. Living an exemplary family life.